The tool, which will have a time-based licensing module, will consist of two major parts:
• a multilingual, multimedia glossary database
• a pop-up widow script, and
Multilingual, multimedia glossary database system
• Database A will be populated with:
o English word
o Explanation of English word
o Link to picture file of English word
o Link to audio clip file related to English word
o Link to video clip related to English word
o User-defined 2nd language equivalent of English word.
o User ID of end-user requesting a definition for the word via the double-clicking system
o As far as possible, the multimedia files will be hosted on the database server, but it should be possible to link to external files.
• Database B will simply contain the date and time of the double-click request, the user ID of the person requesting the word, and the word itself.
• The database system will have a password protected user interface
• It will distinguish between admin and normal user rights.
o Users should be able to define words in English, other languages and multimedia
o Admin should be able to do the above, plus add new users and new 2nd languages
Pop-up window script
• The resizable pop-up will be invoked by double-clicking on an unknown English word in an html- or pdf document. It will open immediately to the top right of the unknown word, unless the word is too close to the right hand edge of the screen to accommodate the size of the pop-up, in which case it will open to the top left of the word.
• Double-clicking the word will send it to a memory variable. The script will then access the database to
o Record the timestamp, unknown word and the user ID of the person doing the search in database B.
o It will search for the word family to which the word belongs in database A.
o If the word has previously been defined in the database, it will return the definition to the pop-up, something like this:
• If the word does not exist in database B, it will record it, and flag it for definition
• Where necessary, the image should be resized automatically to fit into the pop-up window, the window should not resize to be able to accommodate the image.
Database UI & reports
• Database A UI should provide a list of words flagged for definition including the number of times requested, in descending order of frequency requested. Selecting a word for definition should the open a UI where text explanation and 2nd language equivalents for all languages in database can be typed, und multimedia can be uploaded.
• Database B should provide downloadable report (.csv) of user ID and words requested per userID.
User ID and name will be obtained from login session variable. If developed as Blackboard building block, the Blackboard session variables could be trapped. If developed as standalone application, then a third database C will probably be required, containing a numerical userID, initials and surname of user. Session variables can be obtained from login, at which time userID will be validated against database C, and the name obtained from the database. .csv Import functionality will be required for database C.